- Computer Scientist
- AND!XOR employee of the month
- Working on badges and things Hackery
Previous Podcast Episodes
- Incognito Mode episode number 69
- Arduino, The Gateway Drug To #BadgeLife episode number 109
- Espress-ify? Designing Products Around the ESP-32 Platform episode number 144
- Feel the Hum episode number 183
- Better Encryption than Zoom, Firmware Stacks episode number 238
- And a couple of the Starwars Specials
DEFCON 30 AND!XOR Badge
- Its a watch, with some watch things, hacker apps (TV B Gone, BLE Interrogator), Games, & Challenge
- Give them away for free at DEF CON following sponsorship from companies and philanthropists.
- Off the shelf device with hacked firmware
- But how did we get there?
- A story of supply chain woes
- Original Watch idea – supply chain issues and crazy costs / quantity buy requirements
- Look at consumer watches we could hack (PineTime, then LilyGo)
- It wasnt just software, a true micropython implementation was done for firmware
- Always interested in python
- We always lived in a C world
- Makes hacking it easier for end user
- Micropython vs Circuit Python
- The Hacking Challenge – BENDER
- Flashing Party – Things you should think about – i.e. Design for Drunk Hacker Production
- You’re going to do the same thing thousands of times, what do we automate?
- Loop script for provisioning
- Push bare minimum over serial, then use wifi to complete
- Turning screen green once flash done and charge at 100%
- Other thoughts?
- Really different than what we do, was really fun
- People like bling more than function, but …
Special thanks to whixr over at Tymkrs for the intro and outro!