- Bruce Hamby
- Attorney with the Hamby Law Firm
- The Hamby Law Firm focuses on patents, intellectual property, trademarks and business law
- Has been an attorney in the Houston region for over 15 years
- Also a California attorney
- Own Your Brand
- One of first things to consider when bringing a product to market
- What is the difference between a trademark and a copyright?
- Register trademarks in U.S. and Internationally
- Name is important as it denotes source and ensures that your name is legitimate and authentic
- Don’t just protect your brand, protect your ideas
- United States Patent and Trademark Offices (USPTO)
- International filings
- Own Your Technology
- Establish ownership
- Making sure it’s a quality patent to give you the most protection
- Open Source? Licensing
- Owning Your Tech in Other Countries
- China and your intellectual property
- Establish Freedom to Operate
- Crucial step that shouldn’t be overlooked – listen to the reasons why
- Reading/evaluating patents
- How to conduct IP searches and evaluate if you infringe on a patent
- Should you even look at other patents?
- Is it illegal to try to patent something that you know is not original?
Meet with Bruce Hamby next week at the MacroFab Hardware Meetup!
Visit our Slack Channel and join the conversation in between episodes and please review us, wherever you listen (PodcastAddict, iTunes). It helps this show stay visible and helps new listeners find us.
Special thanks to whixr over at Tymkrs for the intro and outro!