Welcome back everyone! This week on the MacroFab Roundup: ESP32 Teardowns, New SMT Equipment Standards, PCBs with frikin lasers, Speak and Spell Cars, and designing PCBAs for harsh environments.
Interesting Links and Articles
- Espressif ESP32 Teardown
- A breakdown of the popular ESP32 and decapping the IC
- It is an evolution or continuation of Espressif’s previous IC, the ESP8266
- The new SMEMA will run over TCP/IP
- SMEMA is the protocol that allows SMT machines (pick and places, reflow ovens, conveyors) to communicate with each other in regards to PCB handling
- The new protocol is called IPC-HERMES-9852
- Will allow the automation of PCB assembly to reach higher levels for Industry 4.0
- Laser Depaneling of PCBs
- A laser cutting machine that is designed to depanelize PCBs
- Reduces the stress on the FR4 and components due to flexing with traditional methods of PCB removal
- Frikin Lasers!
- Miracle of the 1980s: The Talking Car
- How to Build an Arduino-Controlled AM/FM/SW Radio
- Using the Silicon Labs Si4844-A10 IC to make an embedded AM/FM radio
- Article covers using I2C to communicate to the Si4844 and also how to interface with a keypad and display
- Components in Harsh Environments: Defining “Harsh” and Considering Certifications
- There are different types of “Harsh” environments that require different types of designs to help mitigate damage and prolong operational life
- Covers some examples of environmental certifications and what the particular certifications standard covers
- Adding Screw Threads to 3D Printed Parts
- How to add a mechanical fastener to your 3D printed part and have it hold
- Covers the pros and cons of a variety of methods using FormLabs Tough Resin
- Stephen’s uTracer project featured on the original designers website!
MacroFab Engineering Podcast
This week on MEP EP #135: The Hamster That Chirps, Parker opens the Wagon’s chime module and Stephen finishes his uTracer project!
MacroFab IRL Events
- Hardware & Electronics Engineering Meetup by MacroFab & Mouser Electronics
- September 19th at 6PM
- Houston Hardware Happy Hour
- Next Week!
- 6PM CST on September 6th at Slowpokes
- First Thursday of each month
- Bring hacks and hang out
- MacroFab Design Contest: Blink an LED Sponsored by Mouser Electronics